Golf Tournament Etiquette
Golf tournaments are unlike any other sporting event. The suspense makes for a fun game to play and pure entertainment for onlookers. To maintain the intensity and integrity of Golf, you must follow these rules for a successful tournament.
- Silence is Golden. Golfers are not to be distracted. Talking, cheering, and noise-making can throw off your favorite golfer when they are trying to make a shot. Basketball and other sports give room for fans to distract the opposing team. Golf does not. Purposely distracting an opponent will result in a swift and quiet removal from the tournament. Clapping and slightly cheering is allowed after a good shot.
Speaking with the players is also prohibited. Conversations about the weather, greetings and photo opportunities can throw even the most professional golfer off their course.
- Stand Still. That's right. Selfies, intense games of Candy Crush and the ever so innocent sway can be disruptive. Golfers are humans with peripheral vision, and because they are in proximity with fans, they can likely see you posing while they are preparing for a hit.
- Don’t Touch. If a ball so happens to roll in your area, please do not touch It. If your favorite player is close to you, please no pats on the back. Lastly, if you spot an empty folding chair, please leave it. Someone has left the chair to hold their place. If it happens to be in your way, please walk around it.
- Pace. Play at a reasonable pace. Likely, there are players behind you so please considerate of everyone’s game and time. Remember players are not to hit their shots until the group ahead is out of range. Avoid lingering.
- Caddie. Arrange for a caddie. They are there to help and essentially keep you from holding up the game.
- Respect. Respect and good sportsmanship go a long way. Respect the rules and the players and enjoy your game.
Now that you are aware of the of a few of the basic rules, are you ready to play? Are you interested in watching or setting up a tournament of your own? Why Not Golf has made it easy for players, spectators, and organizers alike. Our website allows you to set up times, dates, and sponsors. We also help with booking, grouping, and tracking tournament income. We use social media to help increase your crowds and deliver valuable information. Contact us for more information on pricing, features, and benefits of Why Not Golf. You will not be disappointed.